RE: [logs] hack attempts && price

From: Steve Wray (steve.wrayat_private)
Date: Tue Feb 19 2002 - 22:01:55 PST

    [big snip]
    > Now, what happened when Code Red hit?  How many
    > incidents are mishandled due to lack of
    > policy/procedure, or an under-trained staff?  How many
    > incidents are said to cost hundreds of thousands of
    > dollars in man-hours and downtime, when a better
    > trained staff could have recovered the system in less
    > time, with no down-time?

    I think it all boils down to this; our cultural association
    with this sort of technology is only just beginning.
    Everything is essentially having to be learned from scratch
    by everyone who gets into it even just a little bit.

    Its going to take a while before these manners of thinking
    have gotten into the popular culture enough to do any good.
    Its starting for sure, people, not even computer geeks, can
    be overheard talking about hacking and crashes and such.
    So people are by and large becoming more aware of it.

    I got a callout from a company that had been hacked
    and their internet access taken down for two business days.
    Because their 'official' admins hadn't been checking logs.
    Or hadn't been aware of what they were seeing.

    Their general manager was absolutely distraught.
    They *sure* became aware of how hacking can impact ones
    business life, and she now has a nice horror story to
    tell as well. Word gets about, people learn. It takes time tho.

    Sometimes I just wish I could go into hibernation
    with a sign saying "wake me when computers work properly
    by *default*". It might take 500 years. Whatever, it'll be
    worth it to get a computer that you take out of the
    box, plug it in and away you go with no crashes, no
    viruses, no bugs. Oh wait that was 20 years *ago*
    and it was the ZX81

    8)