[logs] Survey: "Enterprise Logging" Topics of Interest

From: Sweth Chandramouli (loganalysisat_private)
Date: Wed Feb 20 2002 - 12:22:21 PST

    	As a few of the folks on the list know, I'm in the process
    of writing a book on log analysis, which was originally going to be a
    tutorial-style introduction to the topic.  Some changes at my publisher,
    however, have resulted in my getting a new editor, and we've decided to
    change the focus of the book to target a more advanced audience and
    discuss enterprise logging issues, which means that I now get to write
    about a lot of the cool things that I had originally wanted to write
    about.  The problem I'm running into, though, is that there are too many
    cool topics to discuss, which is why I'm turning to you all, to find out
    what topics you would want to learn more about.  Here's a very rough
    sketch of the chapters as I envision them right now; I had some problems
    exporting this info from my outlining program, so not all of the items
    at the same level in this outline will be at the same level in the book,
    but all of the items with a left-flush asterisk will probably be
    individual chapters, so it gives a reasonable idea of how much coverage
    each topic will receive:

    Intro
    * Motivation
    * Legal Issues
    Data Management
    * Data Management Issues
      * Performance
      * Reliability
      * Integrity
      * Authenticity
    Local Data Collection
    * Syslog to file
    * Application Logfiles
    * Event Log
    Data Aggregation
    * Aggregation Filtering
    * Syslog over network
    * Generic Network Logger
    * Logfile pull/push
    * SNMP
      * Not necessarily aggregation but over the network
    * Aggregation Gateway host(s)
    * Time Sync
      * NTP
      * SNTP
    Data Storage
    * Storage Strategies
      * Queuing Storage
      * Analytical Storage
      * Archival Storage
      * Storage Rotation
    * Flat files
      * Local disk flat files
      * Removable media flat files
        * Tape Archival
        * WORM media
      * Flat File rotation
        * Compression
        * Sample rotation scripts/schemes
    * Databases
      * Disclaimer of incompleteness
      * Data Management issues as they apply to databases
    * MySQL
    * Oracle
    * MS SQL Server (?)
    * Dedicated Log Repositories (?)
      * Addamark
      * NFR Secure Log Repository
    Data Analysis
    * Data Analysis Issues
      * Meaningfulness
      * Performance
    * Browsing
      * GUIs (?)
      * Filtering
        * Positive vs. Negative Filtering
        * Regex Issues
    Trending
    * Historical Analysis
    * Statistical Analysis
    Correlation
    * Procedural Correlation
    * Expert Systems
      * CLIPS
    * Rule-based Analysis
    * Object Classification Analysis
      * Unsupervised
      * Supervised (Neural Net, Instance-based/Nearest Neighbour, Decision Tree)
    Response
    * Alerting
    * Distillation/Reduction

    	Of these topics, which ones would people find most useful?
    Which ones would be least useful?  Are there any specific questions
    about any of these areas that people would want answered?  (Rest assured
    that I'll be posting whitepapers based on drafts of some of these
    chapters, so at least some of those questions will be answered without
    having to buy the book.  (Although people buying the book would be
    appreciated, of course. ;) ))  There are some topics like logging via
    serial lines rather than in-band networks that are probably going to get
    a cursory treatment at best, because of space considerations (I'll
    probably have to trim a few chapters as it is); if you feel that some
    topic like that should definitely get more coverage, let me know, so I
    can reprioritize.
    	Also, what about applications of interest?  I can't cover
    every app out there, so if people want to vote for which apps for which
    they'd most like to see coverage, that would be appreciated; in
    particular, are there other (free) expert systems frameworks (besides
    CLIPS) or different dedicated log repositories that people would want to
    hear about?
    	Similarly, what OSes are people dealing with?  Most of
    the log analysts whom I know who are dealing with Windows logs at an
    enterprise level tend to be most interested in stuffing Event Log data
    into some other format like syslog or a database; how much interest is
    there in in-depth discussions of "native" Windows log analysis?
    	I'm going to do as much benchmarking of
    things like reasonable throughput rates (a la the recent Apache
    Logs/syslog thread) as time allows; now's the time to let me know about
    particular areas or implementations for which people would like to see
    benchmarks.

    	So as to not clutter up the list, please reply to me
    directly, and I'll post a summary.

    	Thanks,

    	Sweth.

    --
    Sweth Chandramouli ; <svcat_private>
    President, Idiopathic Systems Consulting