[logs] Slightly off topic -- monitoring firewall logs

From: Russell Fulton (R.FULTONat_private)
Date: Tue Mar 05 2002 - 00:49:09 PST

    We are installing a firewall between our academic network and our
    'corporate' network and are now having an argument over how the logs
    should be monitored.  One camp wants to monitor the logs 7x24 which
    would mean contracting this out to a security firm, the other side
    believes that this is overkill for an institution like us and that what
    we need is a central logging system that will monior the firewall and
    the sytems behind it (including integrity checks) and some smart
    filtering to produce alerts for critical conditions and daily review of
    the logs. SLR springs to mind.

    I have been given three days to come up with a proposal and risk
    analysis etc to back it up as a counter to the outsourced 7x24 proposal
    (for which no analysis has been done to my knowledge).

    My main concern with the 7x24 proposal is the cost which I believe would
    be much better spent on making sure the machines are secure in the first
    place rather than being spent watching for a compromise to happen.

    Does anyone have any opinions on the relative merits of the two
    approaches or any other relevant advice, I would also be interested in
    any real (sanitized if necessary firewall policies).