Re: [logs] About Windows NT/2000 logs

From: Kenji Yamamoto (yamakenat_private)
Date: Sun Mar 10 2002 - 16:32:05 PST

    Hi.

    |Subject: Re: [logs] About Windows NT/2000 logs
    |From: Kenji Yamamoto <yamakenat_private>
    |Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 03:36:43 +0900

    | | Now I ask you, why couldn't this have been an
    | | option for the event log?
    | |
    | | Is there any chance that the perl module can be
    | | set up as a plugin of some sort to log the
    | | events to a text file?
    |
    | You shold check better: eventtrigger.exer and eventquery.vbs
    | which are with XP or later.

    I am not sure about perl plug-in, but there are three
    command line modules up in Windows XP:
    * Eventcreate.exe
    With this you can create you custom events. Pls see help if you
    have XP.

    Examples from command help:
        EVENTCREATE /T ERROR /ID 1000
            /L APPLICATION /D "My custom error event for the application log"

        EVENTCREATE /T ERROR /ID 999 /L APPLICATION
            /SO WinWord /D "Winword event 999 happened due to low diskspace"

        EVENTCREATE /S system /T ERROR /ID 100
            /L APPLICATION /D "Custom job failed to install"

        EVENTCREATE /S system /U user /P password /ID 1 /T ERROR
            /L APPLICATION /D "User access failed due to invalid user credentials"

    * Eventquery.vbs
    A VBScript with which you can query the events. Can redirect to
    a text file. So with command-line SMTP client you can batch the
    query job. Pls see help.
    Examples from command help:
        EVENTQUERY.vbs
        EVENTQUERY.vbs /L system
        EVENTQUERY.vbs /S system /U user /P password /V /L *
        EVENTQUERY.vbs /R 10 /L Application /NH
        EVENTQUERY.vbs /R -10 /FO LIST /L Security
        EVENTQUERY.vbs /R 5-10 /L "DNS Server"
        EVENTQUERY.vbs /FI "Type eq Error" /L Application
        EVENTQUERY.vbs /L Application
                /FI "Datetime eq 06/25/00,03:15:00AM-06/25/00,03:15:00PM"
        EVENTQUERY.vbs /FI "Datetime gt 08/03/00,06:20:00PM"
                /FI "Id gt 700" /FI "Type eq warning" /L System

    * Eventtriggers.exe
    You can create triggers and consequent events with this tool.
    So many option, it seems. Pls see help for more info.
    Examples from command help:
        EVENTTRIGGERS /Create /?
        EVENTTRIGGERS /Create /TR "Disk Cleanup" /L SYSTEM /T ERROR
                              /TK c:\windows\system32\cleanmgr.exe
        EVENTTRIGGERS /Create /S system /U user /TR "Low Disk Space"
                              /EID 4133 /T WARNING
                              /TK \\srv\share\dsk.cmd
        EVENTTRIGGERS /Create /S system /U domain\user /P password
                              /TR "Disk Backup" /EID 4133 /L SYSTEM
                              /T ERROR /TK \\system\share\ntbackup.exe
        EVENTTRIGGERS /Create /RU user /RP password /TR "Disk Backup"
                              /TK \\system\share\ntbackup.exe /EID 4

    HTH

    Regards,

    Kenji Yamamoto

    --
    DFASU (Digital Forest Advanced Security Unit)
    Kenji Yamamoto, Security Consultant