Re: [logs] Sentry/Counterpane how is it working ?

From: Victor Fernandes (Victor.Fernandesat_private)
Date: Fri Mar 15 2002 - 04:08:50 PST

    Tina Bird wrote:

    > I've been trying to come up with a more effective
    > phrase than "network wide log file collection and
    > analysis" so I can eliminate "network monitoring"
    > from the doc, but no luck so far.  Suggestions
    > gleefully accepted.

    I usually use:

    Network monitoring: for network traffic and packet analysis
    Network management: for more high level network monitoring (e.g.
    devices,
    			servers, and services)
    Central Log Collection: for centrally receiving all "possible" logs
    (syslog,
    			NT Event logs, log files, SNMP traps, etc...)
    Log aggregation: when logs are collected centrally but only aggregated
    data is
    			keep (eventually after filtering unnecessary data)