Re: [logs] Queuing of remote logging

From: Alexandre Dulaunoy (adulau-conosat_private)
Date: Mon Apr 01 2002 - 03:37:07 PST

    On Sun, 31 Mar 2002, Sweth Chandramouli wrote:

    > On Fri, Mar 29, 2002 at 04:58:12PM +0100, Tycho Fruru wrote:
    > > Only caveat is that you have to stop the network part from sending out the
    > > messages whenever it's inconvenient.  (stoppig the process works like a
    > > charm ;-) Messages will then remain in the outbound queue.
    > 	OK, I've grovelled through the source, and it appears that
    > ipfc on the client side has two daemons--one that reads the logfiles and
    > converts them into XML files in a queue directory, and then another that
    > scans that directory every ten seconds (well, with a ten second interval
    > between scans), and attempts to use LWP::Agent to push any XML records
    > found to the listening daemon on the loghost, deleting those records that
    > are successfully pushed.  If that's true, why would you need to stop the
    > process (other than not wasting resources if you know that you'll be
    > offline for a while, and not filling the ipfc logs with messages about
    > failed connect attempts)?

    There is multiple way :

    * Stopping the wrapnet part is quite easy and re-starting it quite easy.
      (it's a separated process) kill `cat $IPFCDIR/var/wrapnet.pl.pid`
      and to restart it ($IPFCDIR/bin/wrapnet.pl)

    or

    * Editing the wrapnet to what you want.

    or

    * Wait for the new version (1.0.5 not 1.0.4) of the wrapper where there is
     multiple mode of operation :

    - flush everytime (aggresive mode)
    - try if return true (of specific external script (up interface ?)/ or function)
    - queue and don't flush until manual action (and call the : wrapctl flush)

    For the flushing method. There is also some additional method of operating
    for each method. (a timeout, a specific number of line or a combinaison of
    the two)

    If you have any comments don't hesitate, Free Software developement is a
    dynamic process ;-)

    Thanks.

    adulau

    --