[logs] Centralizing Audit Logging and Reporting

From: Brian Anon (brian_anonat_private)
Date: Thu May 02 2002 - 13:40:15 PDT

    I am in the process of creating a business case that may involve logging
    system and application events to a central audit log database.  Once this is
    done, I expect to be able to query the database to generate reports.

    I expect the most standard approach would be to implement SYSLOGD that logs
    to a RDBMS (MS SQL or Oracle).

    Some of the systems and applications I may like to do this with are:
    Windows 2000 Servers
    CheckPoint Firewall-1
    IIS RealSecure Sensors
    McAfee NetShield
    McAfee VirusShield
    Microsoft IIS
    Microsoft Exchange
    Microsoft SQL
    Oracle
    Microsoft DNS
    Citrix MetaFrame
    Cisco PIX
    Cisco Routers
    Cisco Switches

    I am prepared ro create scripts/agents that can grab an application log and
    parse the information and input it into the database at scheduled intervals
    or on-demand.  I understand each application may require a different table
    structure.

    Has anyone tried to accomplish this?  Any suggestions or comments?

    Regards,
    Brian, CISSP