Re: [logs] Re: Generic Log Message Parsing Tool

From: Marcus J. Ranum (mjrat_private)
Date: Wed Jun 05 2002 - 06:14:06 PDT

    [This message is really "Software Engineering 101" and has
    nothing to do with log parsing. You may want to hit delete
    now...]

    >Logs:ZLogs.pm  (generic data structures)
    >  Logs:ZLogs::Parse.pm (generic parsing module etc.)
    >     Logs:ZLogs::Parse.Syslog.pm (handle input from file, tcp and
    >                                   udp streams)
    >Longer teerm if performance continues to be an issue we can migrate the
    >critical bits into C.

    I'm not trying to be a jerk but this sounds a lot like a case
    of "We already have a hammer and some nails so lets just start
    poundin'!!! We can get a lot of nails into this sucker before
    sundown!!!" ;)

    You don't know enough about the problem or the implementation
    to know if performance will be a problem, or if it'll work at
    all! :) So don't start thinking about whether to migrate the
    critical bits to C. ;) First, define the problem, figure out
    the correct algorithms and parsing techniques to use, then
    decide what programming language and tools are correct for
    solving it. ;)

    mjr.