Re: [logs] Re: Generic Log Message Parsing Tool

From: Tina Bird (tbird@precision-guesswork.com)
Date: Wed Jun 05 2002 - 11:00:13 PDT

    On Wed, 5 Jun 2002, Sweth Chandramouli wrote:

    > 	[This is getting increasingly off-topic, except inasmuch
    > as it will probably affect the final outcome of any generic log parsing
    > effort; this will be my last post to the list on this subthread, then.]

    From the list moderator, in re off-topic-ness:

    There's very little information available for the novice programmer of log
    parsing tools, and even less written about how to write "good" regular
    expressions.  I'm learning tons from this conversation, and I suspect I'm
    not the only one.

    So Sweth, Marcus, etc., please keep going...and in the meantime, I'll work
    on the posting I've been composing about normalizing log messages.

    cheers -- tbird