Re: [logs] Re: Generic Log Message Parsing Tool

From: Steffen Kluge (klugeat_private)
Date: Wed Jun 05 2002 - 17:34:12 PDT

    On Wed, 2002-06-05 at 23:08, Marcus J. Ranum wrote:
    > So let's look at another approach and then I'll generalize it
    > to a broader approach... First, assume you're using a matching
    > language that looks like:
    > %s = matches string
    > %6s = matches 6 chars in a string
    > %d = matches number (including negative numbers)
    > %f = matches a floating point #
    > %w = matches whitespace explicitly (e.g.: %5w = matches 5 spaces
    >         or tabs)
    > (whitespace) matches whitespace - any quantity
    > newlines can be literal embedded in the match string, which
    > greatly helps readability...

    You realise, of course, that all these proposed language
    elements can trivially be represented by simple (Perl) regexes.
    So, let's write a small pre-processor, maybe in sed :)

    But your point is taken. In fact, I'm just returning from
    reading Larry Wall's "Apocalypse 5 - Regular Expressions" on
    http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2002/06/04/apo5.html, he seems to
    agree with many of the points you make, and makes a number of
    his own. Worth perusing.

    Cheers
    Steffen.