Re: [logs] OT: 'Automated Log Analysis'

From: Adrian Mink (adrianat_private)
Date: Tue Jun 18 2002 - 15:38:55 PDT

    Hello,

        I have been mostly lurking here, but have to throw in my two cents. I
    work for
    "insert large organization which should know better". Everyone there is
    aware
    of the need for log analysis. There are just no resources to do it. Yes,
    this is bad
    management, bad security practice, bad on every level. However, that does
    not
    change the fact that the resources are not there, nor are likely to be there
    any time
    in the near future. Yes, management knows about the issue. Given some
    knowledge of
    this particular industry, we are not a rare
    case. I am certain that there are many others out there in this position. I
    believe that
    a service like this has merit, though not in it's current form. I would not
    send logs out
    via email in any case, some of them would just be too large, not even
    considering the
    security implications.
        However, we might consider, given appropriate contracts and NDA's, a VPN
    arrangement
    where the logs were transferred. For this service to be of use you would
    need to be able
    to handle multiple gigs of log data quickly and securely and of course be
    willing to have
    your arrangements scrutinized on site and your code and configurations gone
    over with a
    fine tooth comb.
        I know you are not in a position to do this now, but I thought I would
    throw in some ideas
    on how it could work.

    Adrian