Re: [logs] tools

From: Mario Maawad Marcos (mmaawadat_private)
Date: Thu Jun 20 2002 - 02:30:43 PDT

    Thanks Matthew,

    Yes, the best solution is almost always a custom program using as you say in
    this case the benefits can bring @syslog. But you´ll agree that custom
    program has some disadvantages. I´m thinking in cost (money and time),
    integration, etc... But the real problem is that we are struggling in an
    heterogeneous environment (Syslog is so dependant from the platform), the
    log formats are not standard the log generated by a firewall is different
    that the log generated by a Web server and I can think in other own custom
    program where it could by harder to get logs... Appart from this we need to
    be able to separate the logs we want from all the logs. This is not a simple
    task and is difficult (expensive) to develope a program for this matter.

    I´ve seen some products like NFR (Secure Log Repository) focused on forense
    audit. And others like e-Sentinel from e-Security that uses a console that
    shows in real time the logs divided by levels.

    That´s nice but I would like to have a more integrated platform. I am
    thinking in a console, but also in a central repository, log filtering, API
    for customizing.

    Here in Spain I´ve seen a tool (well is a suite) that has this point of
    view, (it uses syslog and SNMP...it could be programmed with POSIX) and it
    seems to be very good for this purposes, but I feel that it must exist other
    products around the world. I would like to know if you have worked with any
    of this kind of solutions, your opinion or feeling and mainly the names.

    Thanks and regards,

    Mario.