Re: [logs] domain-udp packets at both src&dst ports

From: Allan Liska (allanat_private)
Date: Wed Jul 17 2002 - 09:57:55 PDT

    Hello Bennett,

    BT> If you're seeing both src and dst == 53 in the same packet, then
    BT> either you've got an unusual resolver, one that is only capable of
    BT> having one outstanding request to any given server (or one that
    BT> doesn't care about the ambiguity of having multiple queries with the
    BT> same ports), or else someone is playing silly games. When people
    BT> build packet-filtering (as opposed to proxy bastion) firewalls, they
    BT> often let srcport=53 and/or dstport=53 through, so that DNS will
    BT> work; people have been known to take advantage of that to run things
    BT> like CIPE <URL:http://www.inka.de/~bigred/devel/cipe.html> right
    BT> through such firewalls.

    While it is unusual, most modern recursive software is designed so
    that it can initiate requests on port 53 as well.  This is often done
    when the recursive name server is behind a firewall.  With BIND it is
    relatively simple, just use the option:

    query-source address IP_ADDRESS port 53;

    I think most versions of BIND come with a comment in the named.conf
    file about the command, so it is also possible someone enabled just
    because they could :).

    Either way, if they really are DNS queries, it is probably not
    anything to worry about.

    allan
    --
    Allan Liska