Re: [logs] Re: What's normal?

From: Marcus J. Ranum (mjrat_private)
Date: Tue Aug 20 2002 - 08:09:02 PDT

    I'll offer an idea:
    	Don't worry about figuring out how to baseline normal
    	worry about figuring out how to make a user-interface and
    	support tools that make it fast and easy to do it on a
    	per-site basis.

    If something doesn't generalize well (and I think I agree with
    Paul that this problem doesn't) then figure out how to make it
    _fast_ and _easy_ to be specific, with a minimum skill-set.
    I want something I can sit an intern in front of for a day
    and come away with a normal log-map and some token parsing
    rules for my site. I think that should be do-able.

    mjr.
    ---
    Marcus J. Ranum				http://www.ranum.com
    Computer and Communications Security	mjrat_private