Re: [logs] Re: What's normal?

From: Anton A. Chuvakin (antonat_private)
Date: Tue Aug 20 2002 - 09:36:15 PDT

    Hello Tina and all,

    >explosions. Everyone always says "log and you'll know what's normal"
    >but I haven't seen too many folks give good examples of how to weed
    >through things during normal operations.
    Moreover, some of the suggested approaches for system baselining I've
    seen will happily include all the attack traffic as 'normal' just because
    it happened duding the baselining period. OTOH, (I know it has been
    beaten to death but) is CodeRed hits on Internet-exposed web server a
    'normal' or an 'attack' traffic?

    The related higher-level question is: is normal what SHOULD be happening
    in the network or is it what REALLY happens day by day?

    This is a very exciting thread! I will surely contribute more when I
    digest all the wise responses posted ...

    Best,
    P.S. Also, would it help or hurt figuring out what is normal if another
    layer of abstraction is created above common log messages to normalize
    them?
    --
      Anton A. Chuvakin, Ph.D., GCIA
         http://www.chuvakin.org