RE: [logs] Logging: World Domination

From: Williams Jon (WilliamsJonat_private)
Date: Fri Aug 23 2002 - 05:57:18 PDT

    Now that I've read through all the messages in this thread that I've
    received (thus far), I'm going to put my $0.02 in :-)

    First, I think that there's a cart-and-horse problem here.  On the one hand,
    there's some discussion going on about what to log and on the other hand,
    there's some discussion going on on how to log it.  The simple fact is,
    until you know what you're going to log, having a big, drawn out debate
    about the benefits of XML vs. whatever style or what timestamp formatting
    options are premature.  In my view, the first level of consensus that needs
    to be reached is on what needs to be logged, particularly since that
    decision will most likely dictate the formatting and the toolset involved in
    how it gets logged in the back-end.

    Now, as for what to be logged.  There are a number of obvious (to me, at
    least ;-) things that need to be recorded.
       - log signals received (kill -HUP, kill -KILL, etc.) before terminating
       - log startup and shutdown
       - be able to log all successful and failures of user interaction.  This
    includes packet filters on firewalls
       - log every time an error occurs (I tried to write to disk, but disk was
    full)
       - if requested, be able to record performance counters (memory usage,
    network usage, etc.) on configurable schedule

    From a security perspective (which is where I come from), failure logs
    should include userids, IP addresses, timestamps, and full paths.  A number
    of the posts so far have been along the lines of "who would write a 1500
    byte syslog?", but, as a security guy, I'm constantly frustrated by the lack
    of sufficient information in an event log message.  If you're going to log
    that a security event occurred, give me all the pertinent data.

    Timestamps.  I've experimented with setting all our systems to GMT and it
    befuddled my poor little mind :-)  While a properly tuned and integrated
    logging and display system would (probably) take into account both the time
    zone of the viewer and the logging systems, but this can lead to quite a bit
    of confusion in a global company.  In the end, I gave up on the project and
    just set every system to its local time due to the lack of the viewer with
    the built-in converter that could switch time display from server-local to
    viewer-local to arbitrary-normalized (i.e. world headquarters).

    As I said before, the whole religious debate of XML vs. roll-your-own is
    simply mental masturbation.  Until we've solved the fundamental problem of
    WHAT we're logging, it doesn't make any sense at all to try to figure out
    HOW we're going to log it.

    Now, back to the woodwork for me :-)

    Jon