Re: [logs] tokens and layouts...

From: Chris Adams (cadamsat_private)
Date: Sun Aug 25 2002 - 22:47:12 PDT

    On Sunday, August 25, 2002, at 06:02 , Russell Fulton wrote:
    > What would also be useful is some indication of the accuracy of the
    > clock.  We don't need this in every record but it would be useful in a
    > file header.

    What do you mean by accuracy - precision to a known fraction of a second
    or skew from UTC? In the former case I'd like to simply make the
    timestamp field accept floating-point values. In the later, see below.

    > Also useful would be the ability to specify a time offset
    > fot the log file, firstly to cope with files that are not UTC and
    > secondly with inaccurate clocks where you happen to know the offset from
    > some other source.  This would help when loading files of log records
    > into a database (or other process) for further analysis.

    That would be a really nice feature for a syslogd replacment: "$HOST
    lies about the time - adjust this much before storing the message".

    Chris