Re: Re[2]: [logs] Logging: World Domination

From: Darren Reed (avalonat_private)
Date: Mon Aug 26 2002 - 18:54:09 PDT

    In some mail from Devin Kowatch, sie said:
    [...]
    What about a syslog(3) that takes current input but generates newly
    formatted messages to the best of its ability ?  That's just a stepping
    stone to the next level.

    For more specific messages, I think I'd like to see an interface where
    you provide name/type/value triplets and the library formatted it to
    whatever format was required.

    The biggest problem I can see is that if it takes too much effort to
    generate log events then programmers just won't do it.  Well, maybe if
    you dangle a carrot like an option to output to stderr too (this gives
    them some debugging ability on Unix, anyway.)

    I don't want to write 10 lines of code to replace the 1 syslog() call
    today.  This may just mean you need to provide lots of convienience
    functions or something like that.

    While it's important for us to know what we want in terms of log output,
    if you're going to design a new API, I think you should talk to more
    programmers, who largely don't care as much, what they will put up with
    in coding of sending log messages or even what they'd like.

    Darren