Re: [logs] PIX logging

From: Alexandre Dulaunoy (adulauat_private)
Date: Thu Aug 29 2002 - 11:21:23 PDT

    On Thu, 29 Aug 2002, Allen Crawford wrote:

    > local4.*			/var/log/pix
    >
    > Eventually I found out that things were now being logged twice, once to my
    > pix file above and once to /var/log/messages.
    >
    > My problem/question is that I'd like to have the PIX logs in a separate
    > file, one that gets rotated daily at midnight. In addition to that, I'd like
    > it to append the date as the suffix of the log's filename, such as
    > pix20020815. I would also prefer that the logs were automatically deleted
    > after say, 3 months, but that is the least of my worries right now.  We may
    > just stick with a manual deletion anyway.
    >
    > If anyone can give me details on this, or if anyone else has already set
    > this up for their PIX, I'd greatly appreciate some examples, either online
    > or offline.
    >
    > By the way, I'm running Red Hat 7.3 for this.

    	Forget standard syslog, use syslog-ng[1].

    	You can use filter, external command and so on.. You can also use
    the syslog over TCP with syslog-ng and the PIX.

    	[1]http://www.balabit.hu/en/downloads/syslog-ng/

    --
    			      Alexandre Dulaunoy -- http://www.foo.be/
      3B12 DCC2 82FA 2931 2F5B 709A 09E2 CD49 44E6 CBCD  ---   AD993-6BONE