RE: [logs] Fight Back

From: Seymour, Keith (KESeymourat_private)
Date: Mon Oct 14 2002 - 08:45:42 PDT

    Ganu,

    As much fun as it's not, the only way to tell what tool someone is running
    against you is to download the tools, run them in a lab, record the results,
    and compare. The very common tools are already built into signatures, but
    you will quickly find that 'NMAP Scan' isn't always (or even very often)
    nmap.

    If your using an open tool like snort, look at the rules that are firing and
    see what they look at to identify the attack. then you can look for other
    things that cause that same signature to fire.

    Good Luck,

    Keith