Re: [logs] Re: what is normal ?

From: Raistlin (raistlinat_private)
Date: Thu Nov 14 2002 - 10:19:24 PST

    > Just an idle possibly-related thought: could any of the
    > principles of Bayesian spam filtering (quite the rage in
    > some circles...) be applied to logging?

    Been there, done that.

    What you are talking about are anomaly based IDS (or log filtering tools,
    whatever) based on various clustering principles.

    There's a wide literature in theme, with all kinds of approaches, from using
    bayesian learning (urgle) to neural network, genetic algorithms, you name it
    we got it. As a side note, you are talking of supervised learning, which is
    perfectly fine when you have samples of "normal" and "not normal", but what
    do you do when you don't ? FYI, there are also algorithms dealing with
    unsupervised learning, and my other PC is munching away a good load of TCP
    Dump logs right now with some tests regarding that :P

    In fact I think that learning and clustering algorithms were applied to logs
    a long way before tackling spam :P

    If you wish, I can elaborate, but googling is really the best you can do :)

    Stefano "Raistlin" Zanero
    System Administrator Gioco.Net
    public PGP key block at http://gioco.net/pgpkeys