Re: [logs] Secure Central Log Host

From: Jason Royes (jroyesat_private)
Date: Wed Dec 04 2002 - 03:39:27 PST

    > On Tue, 2002-12-03 at 09:37, Marcus J. Ranum wrote:
    >> Jason Royes wrote:
    >> >Databases (w/ good schema) excel when complex
    >> >analysis is required.
    >>
    >> Databases also require index inserts, support for transaction
    >> rollback, and all kinda crazy stuff that makes them completely
    >> unsuitable as logging systems. We (the collective unconscious "we")
    >> keep using them, though, because they're available and can be
    >> made to suit the purpose by throwing a bunch of hardware at the
    >> problem - which is cheaper, really, than understanding the problem

    I don't think the problem is understanding as much as it is
    integration and administration. Using a typical RDBMS has it's advantages:

      - It is easier to administer a single database system.
      - No need to integrate ranumdb with an SQL backend
      - Less learning required for log monkeys and developers
      - Generate reports with SQL aware tools
      - Large number of SQL ready packages exist
      - Moore's law consoles the bloat

    For ex., what happens when you want your inventory database to be factored
    into threat analysis?

    > There's also the convenience of having programming interfaces to them
    > in your other tools of choice, like PHP, Perl, etc.
    > (also read below)
    >
    >> lot of simplifying assumptions you can make about logs:
    >>         - they are inserted in event-sequence
    >>         - they are approximately clustered by time
    >>         - you seldom (if ever) will need to seek back 20 minutes
    >>                 and delete a single log record
    >>         - the fields you'll want to search on are either bounded
    >>                 fairly tightly (priority, source, time) or are
    >>                 free-form (regexp or string fragment) - so you'll
    >>                 either want a very compact primary index for
    >>                 the bounded values and a patricia tree or inverted
    >>                 index for the strings
    >
    > I like your analysis, and in fact it's pretty close to my own
    > conclusions a while ago. But then, when deciding which tools i was
    > going to use to implement a logging DB, guess what? It was the
    > convenience of having an SQL programming interface in PHP that won the
    > battle. :-)
    >
    > Now, sure, if you can afford the resources, coming up with your own
    > thing is the best way. I guess that's not far from what Addamark did
    > (although on a completely different scale).
    >
    >> mjr. ("once a database guy - always a database guy.")
    >
    > Yeah. :-)
    >
    > --
    > Florin Andrei
    >
    > It's ok to use the names of your pets or children as passwords
    > as long as they contain several non-alphanumeric characters.

    Jason Royes
    Data Access Experts, LLC