Re: [logs] SDSC Secure Syslog

From: Darren Reed (avalonat_private)
Date: Wed Dec 04 2002 - 22:59:52 PST

    In some mail from Tom Perrine, sie said:

    > The Security Technologies group at the San Diego Supercomputer Center
    > (SDSC) is pleased to announce the early availability of "SDSC secure
    > syslog", a replacement for the standard Linux/UNIX syslog daemon that
    > adds security and performance features, while retaining backwards
    > compatibility.
    >
    > We believe it is the first syslog implementation to target
    > "syslog-reliable" (RFC 3195) functionality and it is the first syslog
    > targeted at very high performance and forensically-sound auditing.

    I have yet to see this "product" mentioned on the syslog-secure
    IETF list that has been the home for online discussion about
    syslog-reliable, so I would advise you to mention it there with
    perhaps a little more modesty before making bold claims like you
    have above, because I for one would challenge your "first" claims
    about "very high performance and forensically-sound auditing"
    unless they're markedly different to current/traditional methods
    for providing this.

    Darren