Re: [logs] SDSC Secure Syslog

From: Marcus J. Ranum (mjrat_private)
Date: Thu Dec 05 2002 - 14:48:20 PST

    Tom Perrine wrote:
    >Absolutely.  The "too many sockets" argument just doesn't buy it for
    >me.  That said, one of the problems that we think we have solved is
    >how to handle thousands (tens of thousands?) of long-lived TCP
    >sessions.

    Why did you bother? I am just kinda curious, but code-wise and
    efficiency-wise having the client buffer locally and then connect every
    so often is pretty good. The client can disconnect if it's sat there
    for more than a second without sending something, or something
    like that...  The only downside I can think of is a hackquer getting
    into the machine and zapping the log where it's queued. But that
    is really a false economy because the hackquer can just as easily
    send a bogus ARP or routing update or ICMP bomb to block traffic
    to the logging host and force the client to local-buffer anyhow...

    >  Our system adds new input processes to handle more incoming
    >connections as needed.  And no, not one proc per connection :-)  And
    >procs that have no open connections do go away...
    >
    >I was thinking in terms of 10K hosts logging to a single log host.

    Yeah. Non-persistent connections would make that 10K scale a
    WHOLE LOT, y'know?

    >I guess we could ask Eric, right? :-)  (I seem to recall, probably
    >incorrectly, that Eric wrote the first syslog daemon?)

    Yes. Eric has given many good things to the security community, in
    terms of job security. ;)  However, I promised him I'd never bash sendmail
    again for being buggy, after I'd gotten a chance to read some web server
    and browser code. The Web makes syslog and sendmail look splendid
    by comparison. ;)

    mjr.
    ---
    Marcus J. Ranum - Computer and communications Security Expertise
    mjrat_private  (http://www.ranum.com)