Re: [logs] reinventing syslog [was: Secure Central Log Host]

From: Jason Haar (Jason.Haarat_private)
Date: Sun Dec 08 2002 - 15:56:26 PST

    On Fri, Dec 06, 2002 at 01:07:16PM +0100, Ogle Ron (Rennes) wrote:
    > The problem that we find working in a world wide environment is that syslog
    > only processes logs in local time.  So even though the system is getting its
    > time from a GMT time source, the syslog "corrects" the log output to GMT +
    > timezone.  So when we collect these logs from around the world, we have to
    > correct the log entries back to GMT time.  We've also experimented with
    > moving all of the machines to GMT time.  The local admins don't like that
    > option though.

    Then use syslog-ng - it allows you to log in GMT if you wish:

    destination d_messages {
      file("/var/log/messages"
      template("$R_DATE $HOST $MSG\n")
      };

    In fact - I'd guess you can even log both the syslog server AND client
    timestamps in the same record...

    --
    Cheers

    Jason Haar
    Phone: +64 3 9635 377 Fax: +64 3 9635 417