Re: [logs] Log archival

From: Paul D. Robertson (probertsat_private)
Date: Wed Dec 11 2002 - 14:42:56 PST

    On Wed, 11 Dec 2002, Marcus J. Ranum wrote:

    > >My current thoughts are :
    > >        * they should be archived to tamper proof (write once) media, such as CD-
    > >or DVD-R.
    >

    > Could anyone on the list comment about the feasibility/forensic
    > value of storing logs on spinning media and just burning complete
    > archives of checksums to CDs and storing the digital signatures
    > away? Paul?

    Imagine 12 of the silliest people you've ever worked with trying to
    understand that the checksums represent the data- think OJ and DNA if you
    don't consider this an issue.

    If it's _just_ the checksum you're left with, then you're working with an
    artifact of a machine record (in U.S. Law, a machine record is relatively
    easy to get introduced as evidence,) so there's not a huge stretch between
    200 means "Page sent" in the logs and aa65d53121c7d135ce2f10c39a686385
    means "127.0.0.1 - - [11/Dec/2002:16:09:53 -0500] "GET /~paul/good/pnut-fence.jpg HTTP/1.0" 200
    182848" in terms of logic, but there may be in terms of getting a win in
    court.  That said, it *may* give you enough for a plea agreement if you've
    got other good stuff to use- assuming you can reconstruct the logs from
    the disk- which is likely in most of the cases I've done.

    However, it's *much* easier to explain to a jury of laypeople "200" is the
    Web server's shorthand for "I delivered the page requested" and "that
    bunch of numbers and letters is the equiv. of exactly this log entry,
    assuming that the math works thusly...."

    > It strikes me that a few hundred gigs of logs is about $255.00
    > worth of storage. I have 2 of those in my home MP3 server. ;)
    > But you can store a LOT of checksums on a CD-R. ;) Indeed, if
    > you're using a CD-R that allows write-updates, you'd be able
    > to incrementally add and I don't think it'd be arguable that
    > you'd be able to erase 'em later.

    Overall, I think we've been pretty lucky to get *copies of logs*
    introduced into evidence rather than only the original disks.  I'm not
    sure that the legal system is quite ready to have a checksum as the only
    thing introduced.  Checksums are fairly widely recognized, and it's pretty
    easy to make the case that collisions for a file sized object are fairly
    difficult to represent and will introduce a much, much different object.
    I'm not sure that single log lines make for as easy an explaination.

    If you're talking about introducing both the original media *and* the
    checksums into evidence- say checksumming as a checkpoint operation, then
    I think you have a stronger case.  In that case, I think you're not too
    bad off- you've got the real logs to present (as a machine record of the
    event,) and you've got a reliable write-once audit trail of that record to
    provide a tamper-evident "proof" that the logs haven't been altered by
    either the attacker or whoever was the custodian of the evidence prior to
    its submission to the court.

    Multi-session CDs should be fine, and actually rewritable media won't kill
    your case, it'd just give a clueful defense attorney a slim chance to sow
    the seeds of doubt.  Most times that means you've done something else
    silly-- on its own, it shouldn't be a cratering event[1].

    A lot of precedent has been established with MD5 and SHA1 sums of files,
    disks and logs showing that "this is equal to that."  If you're gonna
    checksum, you probably really want to start thinking SHA1 and MD5 at this
    point because NIST is starting to roll to SHA1 for things, and that'll
    make it hte most likely winner in precedent war overall (and SHA1 hasn't
    seen the collision worries that MD5 has yet,) but MD5 is widely used now,
    so doing both (despite the time delta) is probably the way to go for the
    next year or two.

    HTH,

    Paul
    [1] I'm still not a lawyer, I still don't play one on the 'Net, but I deal
    with them often enough in cases that I think I've got a good feel for
    things in the US, and a slight feel for them in some other parts of the
    world.