RE: [logs] SDSC Secure Syslog

From: Christopher Lonvick (clonvickat_private)
Date: Thu Dec 12 2002 - 06:06:26 PST

    Hi Rainer,

    On Thu, 12 Dec 2002, Rainer Gerhards wrote:

    > Chris,
    >
    > > I've made the offer before of allowing discussion of any
    > > proposal to define a format for syslog messages on the WG
    > > mailing list.  However, any document coming from that
    > > discussion will not be a product of the WG. (Kind'a IETF
    > > legal-eze to say that it cannot get endorsement from the WG
    > > if/when it is presented to the IESG for consideration to turn
    > > it into an
    > > RFC.)
    >
    > If I understand you correctly, that means we should try to create a
    > document (maybe as an effort on this mailing list) and then try to
    > discuss it on the IETF WG mailing list. There, we'll get additional
    > feedback

    Correct up to this point.

    > but it won't make it into an RFC either ;) correct?

    Nope.  Every Internet Draft (ID) gets a shot at becoming an RFC.  IDs are
    either products of WGs, or they are Individual Submissions.  Individual
    Submissions usually don't get wide-spread review by people who have an
    interest in their subject matter.  If you can draft something that can get
    wide-spread acceptance, then that ID has a better chance of being viewed
    favorably by the IESG.  Since there are like-minded people on the syslog
    WG mailing list, I'm OK making the offer to discuss it openly there.

    > At least
    > there are chances some more people would in the long term agree to a new
    > WG for the content? Did I get you right?

    That's a distinct possibility.  The syslog WG is in the Security Area
    since we're dealing with securing the transport and providing
    authentication for syslog messages.  A WG to formalize the contents of a
    syslog message may be in the OAM Area.

    Please ask Tina if it's OK with her to use this mailing list to discuss
    that topic.

    Separately, I'd really like to get some of the recent discussion topics
    over onto the WG mailing list.  [Would someone PLEASE make a suggestion
    on the WG mailing list to modify the syslog-sign ID to have a timestamp
    acceptable to the general populace?  :)  ]

    Thanks,
    Chris