RE: [logs] SDSC Secure Syslog

From: Rainer Gerhards (rgerhardsat_private)
Date: Fri Dec 13 2002 - 06:58:31 PST

    > They often have application or device specific information as
    > data about the event being logged, not just the message.  Is

    Hey Darren, have you ever had a look at PIX messages? Here is an actual
    one:

    %PIX-6-302006: Teardown UDP connection for faddr 194.95.77.107/24576
    gaddr 217.6.190.187/53 laddr 172.19.0.3/53

    Do I correctly have the impression that text and data is mixed on that
    PIX syslog message? ;)

    > syslog the right thing to be using for that sort of data ?
    > If so, does it mean syslog messages become binary format or
    > text with a large hex dump or maybe just a number that
    > indexes into a different binary data file ?

    No, they look much like the PIX sample above...

    > AFAIK, there's currently no way to readily achieve the same
    > result that you can with event viewer for sending lots of
    > data along with a log event.

    I am sorry, I simply do not fully understand what you mean. Please bear
    with the non-native English speaker... Do you mean the message size for
    (optional) dump part? - than I agree (we have created work-arounds
    inside our products, but nothing open-standard).

    Rainer