Re: [logs] Syslog payload format

From: Bennett Todd (betat_private)
Date: Tue Dec 17 2002 - 12:16:28 PST

    2002-12-17-14:49:50 Rainer Gerhards:
    > Reading your mail, I looks like the recent syslog RFC's should
    > never have hit the IETF - no running code an the like...

    You've certainly read my intent right:-).

    > I thought a lot about your post. To me, it sound a little bit like
    > give up on the payload, there will never be a standard...

    That wasn't my intent. Rather, tackle transport and timestamp now,
    as they're [relatively] easy and non-contentious. Tackle payload by
    getting a grip on semantics, then building a prototype
    implementation to prove the semantic structure, then getting enough
    experience with it in real application to ensure that it really does
    work as hoped. Then try and get a standards-track RFC to document
    the proven protocol.

    > Wouldn't it be an option for at least some implementors to
    > define something they can work with and do that? Is it really so
    > hopeless?

    Certainly it's an option, and if any implementors find it appealing,
    there's nothing holding them back. It's _my_opinion_ that trying to
    nail down the syntax to use is a pointless flamewar at this point;
    that _if_ we get a sound definition of the actual classifications
    and prioritizations and whatnot, that we really know work, then
    there will be real motivation to make sure we're using sound syntax.
    I think we need the taxonomy and the prototype implementation (let
    the prototype implementor pick whatever syntax they find most
    tasteful) before we have the real incentive to settle on a final
    syntax.

    > Regarding the taxonomy, I see your point. It is just that I think it
    > should not be a closed set, but dynamically extensible.

    Oh, we've got extensible now --- free-format strings. Nothing keeps
    you from spitting wads of XML into today's syslog if that grooves
    you:-). The problem with extensibibility is that it limits
    automation.

    That's about as far as my thoughts go, I've not yet gotten that
    close to this problem, haven't looked over the existing taxonomies.
    I agree, it seems reasonable to try and start with them.

    -Bennett