RE: [logs] Syslog payload format

From: Rainer Gerhards (rgerhardsat_private)
Date: Fri Dec 20 2002 - 06:06:41 PST

    > Now that I think about it, I think a requirement must be that it
    > >provides a syslog(3) interface for old applications.
    >
    > You're probably right.

    I think he is right and we should definitly do this...

    > Of course if one provided
    > such an interface there'd be no motivation to ever
    > change it, and we'd be (basically) stuck with syslog
    > forever.

    ... Because we could add a number of the defaults as tags to the
    "old-style" call and at least indicate some additional formating.

    Those (developers) that don't really care about syslog will at least be
    provided some benefits. And if they care, it is not a big deal
    converting it...

    Having said this, we could even use the "old-style" call and just add
    one additional call to specify additional name/value pairs. How about
    this?

    Rainer