Re: [logs] EventLog library

From: Darren Reed (avalonat_private)
Date: Tue Jan 07 2003 - 05:45:43 PST

    In some mail from Balazs Scheidler, sie said:

    > On Tue, Jan 07, 2003 at 08:18:23PM +1100, Darren Reed wrote:
    > > In some mail from Balazs Scheidler, sie said:
    > > >
    > > > On Tue, Jan 07, 2003 at 03:27:04PM +1100, Darren Reed wrote:
    > > > The API is still quite vague, so the version number only indicates that it
    > > > is a development version. Once the API becomes stable it will be versioned
    > > > 1.0.
    > >
    > > Ok, so what you're saying is that you're wasting time by implementing
    > > a library to an interface that has not yet been finalised.
    > >
    > > As nice and easy as it is to cut code, "don't do that".
    > >
    > > Get the detailed design right, THEN cut code.
    >
    > I don't believe an API can be finalized without code, as many issues come up
    > when you are implementing the API. Having to adhere to a design made without
    > those issues in mind would not really work very well either.

    What you're saying here is when API's are designed by people who
    are inexperienced with software design, there are problems.

    We only really had a loose description of the requirements - three
    different types of API - fully structured, convenient (xnewsyslog)
    and backward compatible (syslog).  Well, there are some other emails
    on this that I should read and catchup on too...

    > You only need a couple of iterations. You get results faster and you usually
    > get better results.

    But you don't know what the results are going to be before you get them
    so how do you know that they are better ?

    > and? I did not upload a debian package, nor did I announce it on freshmeat.
    > log-analysis is a mailing list where we discussed these things earlier.

    public is public.  ipfilter is not a debian package and nor does it get
    announced on freshmeat.  nor are many other software packages that are
    "open source".  Disclosure in a public forum (which log-analysis is) is
    akin to making it public.  If you want to make private announcements
    about software, setup a private alias or just email private parties
    directly.