RE: [logs] RE: NT Event Log and Web Server Attacks

From: H C (keydet89at_private)
Date: Fri Jan 17 2003 - 11:26:42 PST

    Like I said, I applaud your efforts.  Maybe you'd like
    to discuss some of the other things that I've worked
    on in the past, that may be of help.

    I just think that due to the obscurity of the
    EventLog, particularly on NT and 2K platforms, this
    can be a bit more trouble than it's worth.

    One cannot prevent intrusions...you're right.
    However, a few simple steps can make it such that an
    intrusion is exceedingly difficult.  Given that, if
    you do get "hacked", it's highly likely that
    near-real-time EventLog monitoring systems won't be of
    any use?  Why?  Well, the first thing one would want
    to do is disable logging, which is easy to do w/
    auditpol.exe...