RE: [logs] RE: NT Event Log and Web Server Attacks

From: Rainer Gerhards (rgerhardsat_private)
Date: Fri Jan 17 2003 - 11:53:03 PST

    > One cannot prevent intrusions...you're right.
    > However, a few simple steps can make it such that an
    > intrusion is exceedingly difficult.  Given that, if
    > you do get "hacked", it's highly likely that
    > near-real-time EventLog monitoring systems won't be of
    > any use?  Why?  Well, the first thing one would want
    > to do is disable logging, which is easy to do w/ auditpol.exe...

    Sure - but if you review the logs often (e.g. all 5 seconds), chances
    are very high that you will see the evidence before it is
    deleted/disabled. If you look at current attack patterns, the normally
    require multiple steps to break into the system, and this is your
    chance.

    Also, there are also lazy and incompetent attackers out there, which
    definitely gives you a better chance in catching them with such
    analysis...

    But I agree, it is only a building block. Maybe some think its not worth
    placing it into your defense. IMHO this doesn't disqualify those who do
    so with valid reasoning (if they know it ;)). Others may opt to include
    it ;)

    Rainer