Re: [logs] adduser log

From: Paul D. Robertson (probertsat_private)
Date: Tue Jan 21 2003 - 17:14:20 PST

    On Tue, 21 Jan 2003, Pinel Pierre-Marc wrote:

    > I need to log the use of the adduser comand on a Red
    > Hat server.

    Just the adduser command, or any commands, and what if the command is
    copied to a new name?

    > Is there any other solution than to modify comand and
    > doing a script than logs an event.

    A kernel module that klogs things passed to execve is pretty easy to do-
    I just wrote a proof of concept one that seems to work ok.  I had some
    execve wrapping stuff laying around, so it was <5 minutes of work to nuke
    the extraneous code.

    This requires replacing the execve() syscall with a wrapper that logs the
    argument and then calls the original syscall.  Making the module so that
    it can't be unloaded is simple under the 2.4.x kernel series[0].  Logging
    all, or logging a list of commands that's hardwired into the module are
    both simple.

    Additional stuff is more difficult (like MD5'ing the binary) because
    accessing filesystems in kernel mode pretty much sucks AFAICT.  I still
    haven't figured out non-parameterized kernel module arguments though[1],
    so dynamic unlimited list stuff is a PITA for me, someone doing full-time
    programming might be more clued in and be able to help with more useful
    feature sets.

    So, I could offer up a module that logs all execve() calls to klogd in a
    few days (I'd want to test it for 3-4 days continuosly since it's kernel
    memory before handing it out,) and you could play from there, anything
    else takes more time and research than I have free at the moment.

    I'd expect that to generate *lots* of log data though, so it's probably
    not all that useful.  If we nuked logging /bin/sh it might not be all that
    horrendous though...

    The other hole in the scheme is that it's possible to come in behind and
    load another moudle that overloads execve() again, and I really don't have
    time to go through that whole "protect the protector" scenerio.  If that
    limitation works and the idea is interesting, let me know.

    Paul
    [0] Increment and never decrement the usage counter.
    [1] I can do cmd1=foo, cmd2=bar, but I can't seem to get argv-ish stuff
    figured out.