Re: [logs] How are people bringing DMZ syslog msgs into the central server?

From: Fred Mobach (fredat_private)
Date: Sun Feb 09 2003 - 12:57:10 PST

    Alberto Gonzalez wrote:

    > I believe there is a 2GB file size limit. This was brought up a few
    > times on snort-users and other mailing lists. Just thought you'd like to
    > know.

    If I am not mistaken this limit was valid in the past on ext2 file
    systems. In 1999 Siemens AG introduced the 4 GB patch for ext2.

    XFS claims to support bigger files (see
    http://oss.sgi.com/projects/xfs/features.html) :
    "For Linux 2.4, the maximum accessible file offset is 16TB on 4K page
    size and 64TB on 16K page size. As Linux moves to 64 bit on block
    devices layer, file size limit will increase to 9 million terabytes (or
    the system drive limits)."

    ReiserFS version 3.6 claims (see http://www.reiserfs.org/features.html)
    :
    "max file size = 2^60-1 bytes => 1 Ebytes, but page cache limits this to
    17.6 Tbytes on architectures with 32 bit int".
    --
    Fred Mobach - fredat_private - postmasterat_private
    Systemhouse Mobach bv - The Netherlands - since 1976