Re: [logs] NTP Client?

From: Adrian Grigorof (adrian.grigorofat_private)
Date: Tue Feb 11 2003 - 10:33:36 PST

    Hello,

    Windows 2000 has a built-in time service that support synchronization with
    NTP servers (see NET TIME /? from a command line). By default, Windows
    2000/XP machines part of a domain/AD synchronize their time with the domain
    controller.

    You may sync the time on the syslog server and use the time stamp from the
    syslog server itself as a reference for the events logged. I guess the only
    drawback is that there may be a difference between the time the event is
    generated and the time when it is actually recorded by the syslog server. I
    am using WinSyslog running on Windows 2000 and it offers many options in
    regard to time stamps. I analyze the syslog logs with Adiscon Monilog
    (www.monilog.com) and it supports Linux-based syslog logs as well.

    Regards,

    Adrian Grigorof
    www.eventid.net