RE: [logs] NTP Client?

From: Daniele Muscetta (danieleat_private)
Date: Tue Feb 11 2003 - 10:59:54 PST

    Well... On W2K the NTP client is installed by default.... It is the
    "windows time service".... It is both an NTP client and an NTP server.
    It is designed to be used in an active directory environment so that the
    first DC of the forest synchronizes with some "external" source, and
    then the other servers from the first, and then the clients from their
    respective server...

    But it can be manually configured:
    Just do  net time /setsntp:1.2.3.4 (where 1.2.3.4 is of course the IP
    address, or the name of the time source you want to use). Done. You can
    search on technet for further reference. If you don't want to use that,
    there is a "replacement" time server (that can be further configured)
    that was basically the OLD version of the same stuff.... It used to be a
    "TIMESERV" (on windows NT, but that was ONLY a time SERVER, not a
    client) and then W32Time... You need to search among the old stuff,
    resource kits, etc...
    But the built in one works just FINE.

    For the Cisco I do not know... Well, let's say that it is ideal to be
    able to CORRELATE events... So, well, then it is useful to have the
    sources synchronized... But if it doesn't do it... Well, it just does
    not do it!! Just put manually the same time and timezone... And check it
    every now and again.... ;)

    Best regards,

    Daniele