RE: [logs] RE: Windows Event Log Attack Signatures

From: Moyer, Shawn (SMoyerat_private)
Date: Thu Feb 27 2003 - 13:24:37 PST

I'm doing something similar via Psionic's LogSentry and Syslog-NG on a *nix
box, with NTSyslog exporting the event logs from Windows -> Syslog. This has
some disadvantages in that in my current configuration I can't really set a
clipping level; it's more or less all events of a given category that
generate an alert. But, the price is nice. :)=)

--shawn

ignatures.
asp

(long url, make sure it is complete when entered in the browser!)

Among the feedback was also a very interesting list of Windows Event
IDs. I have used it to boost our event parsing database from around 150
events (mostly security) to 6700+. I have the feeling that this is a
close-to-complete list of Windows events that can occur. Find that
database at

    http://www.monitorware.com/en/events/

While broswing the database, you get the idea that there are a number of
events in it that might be well worth being looked at in more detail.

But I have still a request: I have not yet received any *event log*
signatures of a system that actually got hacked. If you have such - or
some more clever ideas - I would *deeply* appreciate them.

I promise I will make my findings publically available, and I also
promise to keep things confidential if I am asked to do so.

Many thanks,
Rainer Gerhards