RE: [logs] Appliancebased Logging

From: Kohlenberg, Toby (toby.kohlenbergat_private)
Date: Sun Mar 16 2003 - 14:37:55 PST

    I looked at their product but didn't evaluate it closely enough to give an informed opinion.
    I can offer some suggestions about what to think about when looking at consoles-
    1. The rate that they can accept events is pretty meaningless. How many inserts/queries can their
    database handle per second? That will make more of a difference. How many events per second
    can a large set of rules be evaluated against?
    2. How intuitive is the interface? You want your analysts (or your NOC monkeys even) to be thinking
    about the data, not how to get to the data.
    2a. How easy is it to modify the interface to suit particular users or purposes?
    3. How powerful is the correlation language that they let you use? Can it handle statistical rules? E.g.
    create an alert if you see an increase of X% in any event from any source or to any destination.
    4. How well does the product actually understand the alerts it is accepting? Does it just know how to
    split up the fields or does it actually understand that a Sendmail event from a BSD system may be related
    to an Exchange event from a Win2K system?
    4a. Remember if you are willing to build all the intelligence from scratch, products like NetIQ and HPOpenview
    have been doing this for much longer and can give you a suite of tools to build anything you'd like. The question
    is whether that's what you want.

    I'm pretty sure Talisker (who runs www.networkintrusion.co.uk) is about to do an update to his console page (it's
    somewhat out of date currently): http://www.networkintrusion.co.uk/consoles.htm which would be a good place
    to look. He's also got some additional questions that are worth thinking about.

    toby