RE: [logs] NetIQ Vigilant Log Analyzer?

From: Todd E. Tucker (Todd.Tuckerat_private)
Date: Mon Mar 31 2003 - 15:04:14 PST

Again, I respectfully disagree. NetIQ is no longer solely focused on Windows
shops. With the acquistion of PentaSafe (where I came from) and its VigilEnt
products, it became a heterogeous player in security. We have more
non-Windows agents than we do Windows agents. NetIQ also provides Unix
agents for its performance and availability product, AppManager. And the
WebTrends products (part of NetIQ) report on 40+ security devices, not just
MS ISA.

Moreover, for small shops a single machine could be used for the log engine
and the security server. But VigilEnt Log Analyzer was designed for medium
to large enterprises, so we enable customers to split the functions among
servers for load distribution and horizontal scalability. For example, you
could put a log engine in London and a log engine in NY to minimize traffic
sent over the Atlantic.

Finally, I caution anyone against using syslog for security purposes: it is
both unreliable and insecure. It is trivial for an attacker to insert bad
data into a network syslog server, including Ntsyslog. It would not hold up
in a court of law. And Ntsyslog provides no analytical capabilities like
trend analysis. Maybe those problems don't concern some of you, but those
are why companies are clamoring for an alternative to syslog and are
spending millions on commercial solutions.

Chris, if you've had a bad experience with VigilEnt Log Analyzer I'd like to
talk.

Todd
NetIQ