RE: [logs] NetIQ Vigilant Log Analyzer?

From: Todd E. Tucker (Todd.Tuckerat_private)
Date: Tue Apr 01 2003 - 08:05:22 PST

    Good points, Paul. I don't mean to say it would be inadmissable, just that
    it would stand the challenges. The primary factor that would potentially
    make log data inadmissable is if it were not collected in the normal course
    of business, which would cause it to be subject to the hearsay rule. Syslog
    is normally used in the normal course of business.

    What I am saying is that the syslog data would be easy to attack by the
    defense.

    What my investigation and legal sources tell me is that they would rarely
    use log data as the primary evidence, only as supporting. It's too easy to
    manipulate, modify, and delete. They would instead rely more on evidence
    from disk analysis, trap and trace, etc. using court-approved tools (like
    enCase or NTI).

    That's why I tell our prospects that a tool like VigilEnt Log Analyzer is
    used for discovery during a forensics investigation. These tools can help
    single out machines for a more thorough analysis, and can save time, which
    is so precious during an investigation.

    Regards,

    Todd

    Todd E. Tucker, CISSP, CISA
    Product Marketing Manager
    NetIQ Corporation
    Business: (713) 418-5260
    Toll Free: (888) 400-2834 x85260
    Fax: (928) 396-7174
    mailto:todd.tuckerat_private
    PGP Key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xD8CEEF2A
    PGP Fingerprint: 136D 7089 F9AC 5530 CD0D  3B27 9FCA 4739 D8CE EF2A
    http://www.netiq.com