RE: [logs] NetIQ Vigilant Log Analyzer?

From: durnieat_private
Date: Tue Apr 01 2003 - 11:12:23 PST

    NetIQ's inherent lack of support and refusal to develop for Unix/Linux
    management platforms is the biggest issue that I have. Syslog can be
    secured as well as timestamped or hashed FYI... I have used this in a
    court of law twice to assist in prosecution and had no problems besides
    the usual "attack the messenger" tactics. NTsyslog is only the agent,
     it shouldn't be providing any anylitical capaboilities, only transport.
    That is what I use my Neusecure CMS for... I understand you work for
    NetIQ and can respect your defensive posture:-) I actually use the VSM
    for generating audit reports out of my AS400's and Domain members for
    Exec's. As far as Security Management platforms go, I will always run
    them on unix/linux based systems (except my VSM of course:-) and as I
    discussed with your development team, most security folks have a pretty
    solid background in this area and will probably go this route...

    I'd love to chat with you offline concerning this topic....

    Chris Kirschke
    Silicon Valley Bank
    408-654-7185