RE: [logs] comparison chart/ magic Quadrant or something about ce ntralized l ogging systems..

From: Marcus J. Ranum (mjrat_private)
Date: Wed Apr 02 2003 - 18:38:51 PST

    Todd E. Tucker wrote:
    >Yes, just be forewarned. Gartner carefully defines their "markets" and is
    >very hesitant to create a new market until it is very established. I'll be
    >surprised if you find much at Gartner on centralized logging.

    Also be forewarned: Gartner doesn't know their asterisk from a hole
    in the ground when it comes to technology. I know that sounds weird
    because that's the business that they're in, but if you actually know
    anything about security and read the reports that those chumps write,
    it's obvious that they're just saying whatever the marketing team at
    whatever vendor paid them the most told them to say. The position on
    the "Magic Quadrant" depends on whether you're a subscriber of their
    "research service" more than it does whether your technology or
    market vision is any good. Their analysts are generally marketing guys,
    who specialize in schmoozing nuggets of information at trade shows
    and regurgitating them into reports - they don't actually know what's
    going on; most of it's second-hand information or, worse, stuff that is
    based on the *marketing* glossies the vendors give them. In other words,
    the "vision" quadrant of the "Magic Quandrant"(tm) is primarily a measure
    of how good your marketing people are at powerpoint. Lest someone
    accuse me of sour grapes or whatever, let me remind you that I was
    saying Gartner was clueless even when they were saying nice things
    about me and my company, at the same time as we were paying them
    $60,000/year for a coveted place on the Magic Quadrant...  You, too,
    can be a visionary if your checkbook can dish it out... ;)

            I mean, seriously, these are the same guys who said "Intrusion
    Prevention is the security technology of the future" and - as far as I can
    tell - nobody actually knows what it is or has seen a working "Intrusion
    Prevention" technology other than a well-configured firewall and desktop
    Antivirus.

            Reading and relying on Gartner reports is the intellectual equivalent
    of sniffing glue; you'll see lots of pretty colors and maybe hear interesting
    sounds, but when you wake up in the morning, your IQ has dropped some
    small but measurable amount.

    mjr.
    ---
    Marcus J. Ranum				http://www.ranum.com
    Computer and Communications Security	mjrat_private