Re: [logs] "Temperproof" logfiles?

From: Michael Boman (michael.bomanat_private)
Date: Sat Apr 05 2003 - 11:18:53 PST

    On Thu, Apr 03, 2003 at 04:04:43PM -0500, Blaise St-Laurent wrote:
    > >> I'm in the process of figuring out how to configure syslog-ng to pass
    > >> the syslog entries through openssl to sign the lines before they are
    > >> written to disk. Watch the mailing list for more information.
    > >
    > > I will watch this with great intrest.
    > >
    > the more i think about it though, the less i think that database +
    > tamper resistance is going to be an syslog issue. If you want to sign
    > or at least put a checksum against every line that goes into your db,
    > the best way i could think of doing this is to write a trigger on
    > insert that calculates the checksum based on the values you supply
    > (time, server, msg etc..) and adds it to the appropriate column. I'm
    > not sure of the crypto support in any of the major DBs though i do know
    > mysql and postgres have md5 functions.
    >
    > would this + the mysql pipe method of entering logfiles into the Db
    > work for you?
    >
    > the reason i ask is because i'm working towards signing the log and
    > then writing it to a txt file, not a database.

    As I've stated earlier, database is a working copy - if in dubt it's
    just a matter of nuking it at re-populate it (events are being deleted
    all the time to remove information deemed uneeded and to keep the size
    down to a managable level). It's the text files I am worry about mostly.

    Best regards
     Michael Boman

    --
    Michael Boman