[logs] a tool for detecting patterns from logfiles

From: Risto Vaarandi (risto.vaarandiat_private)
Date: Tue Apr 15 2003 - 05:34:02 PDT

    hi all,

    I have created an experimental tool for mining patterns from logfiles. I
    have been using it for a month now and it has worked quite well in my
    environment, so I decided to put it on the web.

    The tool uses clustering algorithm to divide the logfile into clusters,
    so that each cluster corresponds to a certain pattern that occurs
    frequently enough. Lines that do not belong to any detected clusters (so
    called outliers) are written to a separate file. This allows one to
    detect rare lines that are possibly anomalous. Also, one can run the
    analysis process iteratively by reapplying the tool for the outliers
    file for several times.

    The tool is available at http://kodu.neti.ee/~risto/slct/, and any
    feedback is welcome.

    br,