Re: [logs] Severity classification and Snort events.

From: Marcus J. Ranum (mjrat_private)
Date: Fri Apr 25 2003 - 06:27:01 PDT

    Julio Jaime wrote:
    >       I need know , how find the relation between the events and the set
    >of rules that trigger it event.

    That's, right now, the single big challenge in log analysis. Currently there are
    commercial products that try to do that, and several people have built their
    own research system mostly using hard-coded perl scripts, etc. Basically,
    what you need to do is normalize or recognize events, pick out the "important"
    parts, and compare the important parts to produce new important parts.
    The technical means for doing that aren't difficult - that's a perl script. But
    the hard part is normalizing/recognizing, which requires a coded knowledge-base.
    The second hard part is picking out the important parts, which requires a second
    knowledge-base. And then the combination/comparison aspect requires a third
    knowledge-base. The first knowledge-base is most expensive to build because
    it is vendor/device specific. The second knowledge-base is hack/vulnerability
    signature specific and requires hack/vulnerability data. The third is specific to
    the results of the first two.

    I guess what I'm saying is that none of this is rocket science but it depends
    entirely on building some very expensive intellectual property. Which is why
    the only people who are doing much with it are well-funded organizations or
    vendors.

    mjr.
    ---
    Marcus J. Ranum				http://www.ranum.com
    Computer and Communications Security	mjrat_private