RE: [logs] TCPwrappers logging without serving

From: Desai, Ashish (Ashish.Desaiat_private)
Date: Tue May 20 2003 - 06:05:24 PDT

    In Solaris (all versions) and SunOS 4.1.4,
    inetd has a flag "-t" that logs the client
    ipaddress and port number
    to syslog. That is one of the best way of logging
    (ala tcpwrappers) without installing any new software.
    Just change /etc/init.d/inetsvc to have inetd start
    with "-t" flag and you are all set.

    [For services you don't want running but do want to log,
    try replacing the daemon line with /bin/false. WARNING: I have
    not tried this trick]

    Ashish Desai
    Fidelity Investments