RE: [logs] Re: [Windows] Privileges field in 560 events

From: Eric Fitzgerald (ericfat_private)
Date: Tue Jul 01 2003 - 10:23:18 PDT

    Good research, but you missed a couple :-)

    Most services have default SACLS: Everyone:Fail:All Accesses

    Service Control Manager itself has a SACL.

    The SACLs on SAM objects were changed in Windows Server 2003 to be less verbose.

    Also, I'm working with the SAM team to see if I can deliver a tool which will adjust SACLs on the SAM.

    Finally, the reason that the objects with SACLs, have SACLs, is to mitigate some threat.  For instance, we noticed that no audit event was generated when a scheduled task was added, so we added instrumentation to the Scheduler service.  However due to the way that jobs are created, it's possible to add job objects directly to the scheduled tasks folder, so for complete coverage we had to audit that as well.

    I complained to the event viewer team about the full control access to the security key when the log is viewed or refreshed (we audit this so that we can detect tampering with the security log), however they denied that the issue existed and, after a demonstration, did not feel that it met the bar for inclusion in W2K3 (I noticed it pretty late in the product cycle).  Event Viewer is getting a rewrite in Longhorn so I doubt we'll see this issue fixed in a service pack, but this event isn't very noisy so I don't think it's too onerous.

    Eric