[logs] UNIX-Like logger for Windows - shameless self-promotion

From: Rainer Gerhards (rgerhardsat_private)
Date: Wed Jul 09 2003 - 06:27:20 PDT

    Hi all,

    after talking to Tina, I decided to do some additional shamless
    self-promotion.

    We have just released a small UNIX-logger like tool for Windows. It
    works more or less as the UNIX counterpart, with some options currently
    missing (like the process ID) and some other added. The added options
    are currently more or less to take care of the Windows environment,
    which lags the "usual" syslog infrastructure (so we have a command line
    option and environment default for the log host, for example). We plan
    to add syslog/tcp (as PIX does, and - no war please;)), SELP and other
    protocols at a later stage.

    Though I would have loved to see this, it is not full freeware. Command
    line logging is totally free but file logging (both stdin and -f) brings
    a nag screen which at least makes it hard to use it in an automatted
    script - so please be warned.

    The product is closed source.

    If you would like to give it a try, you can find out more at

    http://www.monitorware.com/logger/

    As I know you guys don't like data-gathering download forms, here is a
    direct link to the install set (~300KB):

    http://adiscon.org/download/logger.zip

    I hope this is useful. I have yet to see if Tina's FW-1 trick can now be
    done as it works on UNIX. If someone tries it, I would be more than
    interested to learn the outcome (I don't have FW-1 at hand).

    Many thanks,
    Rainer