[logs] Which features would you like to see in a web syslog viewer

From: Rainer Gerhards (rgerhards@private)
Date: Tue Oct 07 2003 - 09:46:09 PDT

    Hi list,

    I know I am asking a lot of feature requests these days. Many thanks for
    all who responded to my previous ones, the comments have been very
    helpful. I hope you will see some rewards of them turn into software.

    I am now asking for comments of what you would like to see in a
    web-based syslog viewer. The primary intention is to provide a web
    interface to a syslog message repository (database) so that network
    operators can look up current activity via the Intranet. At least this
    is the original idea.

    The project is named phpLogCon, will be written in php, support win32 &
    *nix at least and be GPLed.

    We have created an initial version at

    http://sourceforge.net/projects/phplogcon/

    We initially intended to turn towards it later this year, but I got some
    unexpected help offered so we can now work on it immediately, at least
    for one month. I am not sure how much we can accomplish, but I would
    definitely like to receive some feedback of what you folks would like to
    see in such an interface.

    I appreciate any comments.

    Rainer